Blog in Vietnamese: Video cách làm phở trộn Hà Nội
This chicken noodle salad, Phở trộn, is one of the most popular street foods in Vietnam's capitol, Hanoi. It's bursting with flavor thanks to the mix of garlic sauce, herbs, deep-fried shallots, and roasted peanuts. And the veggies and chicken ensure it's quite nutritious. Another great gluten-free meal that everyone will love.
♥ Ingredients:(4-6 portions)
1 free-range chicken (about 2 ½ lbs) or your favorite chicken meat
1 brown onion, peeled, cut into rings
1 4-inch piece of ginger
3 cloves garlic
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 lb fresh banh pho
cilantro, roughly chopped
fresh Thai basil
1 cup mung bean sprouts, boiled
1 cucumber, sliced
roasted peanut, chopped
deep fried shallot
¼ cup finely chopped green onion and cilantro
For the sauce:
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup red rice wine vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
2 tbsp sugar
¼ cup water
½ tbsp fried garlic
Instructions: Watch how to make Vietnamese chicken noodle salad on VansKitchen Youtube channel
1) Char the onions and ginger: Place the onion rings, ginger slices, and shallots on a lined baking sheet. Broil on high for 20 minutes. After 10 minutes, turn over and continue broiling so that they are browned on both sides.
2) Cook the chicken: Transfer the prepared onions and ginger into a large pot. Add ½ tbsp salt and ½ tsp pepper. Cover with water. Cover and cook on high heat until the water boils. Add chicken. Let it boil for 15 minutes. Skim foam as it rises to the top of the water. After 15 minutes, turn off the heat, then cover and keep the chicken in the pot for another 30 minutes so that the meat is fully cooked and absorbed the flavor. When the meat is cool enough to hold, pull into bite size pieces.
- I recommend use free-range chicken. Since it is tasty but you can use any chicken you like.
4) Make garlic oil: Mince the garlic. Heat the fry pan on medium-high heat. Add 2 tbsp oil. Heat the oil, then add garlic and saute until the garlic turns light brown. Set aside.
5) Prepare the noodle: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add fresh noodles for 5 seconds, then drain well. Add half of the garlic oil to the noodle. Mix well. Set aside.
6) Make the sauce: In a large bowl, combine all the sauce ingredients: sugar, water, soy sauce, vinegar, and sautéed garlic. Mix well.
7) Assembling: Place the prepared noodles into the bowl. Assemble chopped lettuce, sliced cucumber, herbs, quick boiled bean sprouts and chicken on top. Garnish with deep fried shallots, and roasted peanuts. Sauce and broth on the side. Pour sauce over the top and toss thoroughly to coat before eating.
♥ Here are a few of the tools I used in the video:
Victorinox 8-Inch Chef's Knife
Peugeot Paris U'Select Pepper Mill
Cuisinart Chef's Classic Stainless Stockpot with Cover
Calphalon Tri-Ply Stainless Steel Cookware Set
Anchor Hocking Oven Bake and Food preparation Set